Acne & Scarring Treatments, Swansea
Here at The Grove Skin Clinic we are one of the very few Clinics that specialise in the treatment of Acne. We have worked hard to provide a variety of treatments that can be life changing for those suffering with this very common skin complaint. Acne can and does have major physical and psychological effects on the individual. Members of our staff have been Acne suffers therefore we can really sympathise with where our patients are coming from.
What is Acne ?
Acne is a very common skin condition characterised by comedones (blackheads and whiteheads) and pus-filled spots (pustules). It often starts at puberty and varies in severity from a few spots on the face, back and chest, which most adolescents will have at some time, to a more serious problem that can then have a n impact on self confidence, become embarrassing which in turn has an impact on the individuals life.
For the majority it tends to resolve by the late teens or early twenties but can and does persist for longer in some people. Adult Acne is seen very frequently and can develop for the first time in people in their late twenties or even the thirties. It occasionally occurs in young children.
What is the cause of Acne ?
The sebaceous glands in people who get acne are sensitive to normal blood levels of a hormone called testosterone. This causes the glands to have an excess production of oil. On top of this , the dead skin cells are not shed properly and this then caused blocked and clogged up the follicles. This is when blackheads and whiteheads develop.
The acne bacteria known as Propionibacterium is on everyone’s skin, and for most causes no problems, but, in those prone to acne, the build up of oil creates an ideal environment in which these bacteria can multiply. This triggers inflammation and the formation of red or pus-filled spots.
What can we do to help with your Acne ?
Here at The Grove we specialise in helping those suffering with Acne, we deal with all aspect of treatment from diagnosis through to treatment and helping manage the psychological effects.
Our approach is to manage the condition and the visible effect on the skin. We are able to do this in a number of ways. Our clinical director and Specialist Nurse Jodie is able to prescribe medication if she deems this necessary, however often antibiotics and topical antibiotic and steroid creams don’t solve the problem and as we know long term use isn’t considered advisable.
The Acne Process:
- We carry out a skin analysis. This allows us to look beneath the skin and see whats going on, where the bacteria is if its bacterial Acne.
- We then make a diagnosis based on the findings.
- Skincare is the first treatment modality, specific for acneic skin, there is no point in considering physical treatments if medical skincare isn’t being used as this is what manages the Acne on a day to day basis.
- Oral supplements specifically for hormonal Acne.
- Depending on the type of Acne (bacterial/hormonal) we then have a host of treatments available:
- IPL which is light therapy and helps to kill the bacteria that causes Acne.
- Medical facials using serums designed to assist with managing breakouts.
- Mesotherapy for Acne
- LED facial – a different form of light therapy for Acne.
- Sublative facial a skin resurfacing treatment thats deals with any scaring and skin unevenness.
- Micro medical needling for scaring, skin tightening, collagen production and uneven skin tone.
- Chemical peels to manage the Acne and help with the skins condition.
There is more information on each of these treatments on our website for you to read providing you with more information.
Whats next ?
Make an appointment for a skin consultation and make the first step to improving you skin and your life.
Consultations are £25 with our skin specialists.